23 September 2011

The Fashion World of Jean Paul Gaultier Pt I

Way back in June, I had the privilege of going on a fabulous little trip through Canada with my family. One of my favorite cities was Montreal. It is the type of place I could really see myself living (when I become a real person with an income.) It had such a lovely mix of old world European flair meshed into the modern and cosmopolitan nature of the city. I knew it was fate (and my love for the city only deepened) when I stumbled upon a fashion retrospective called “The Fashion World of Jean Paul Gaultier: From the Sidewalk to the Catwalk” at the Montreal’s Musée des Beaux-Arts. Having just recently come from McQueen’s exhibition, Savage Beauty, I felt like I had somehow entered the pearly gates into fashion heaven, where beautiful well-curated fashion exhibitions just happen to be around every corner. This was especially exciting because for me, personally, Gaultier is a one of those designers whose beauty, technique, and aesthetic spoke to me from a young age. I think religious inspired fashion is so fascinating. I remember when I first saw photos from his Spring 2007 Couture show and found myself so awestruck at it’s brilliant beauty. It is one of my favorite shows of all time (perhaps my favorite). So imagine my surprise when I saw this exhibition and got to see this garments in person! Safe to say, I FREAKED OUT.

Here are some photos from the exhibit. I could’ve posted three times this amount because there were so many incredible pieces in this display but I decided to edit it down.

Also, all the mannequins had faces projected on them that moved and sometimes spoke! It was mad fly. Check it out!



Obsessed with everything about this photo: Miles Aldridge, Immaculate No. 3










Jean Paul Gaultier painted photograph (1990)


David LaChapelle Hollywood Confidential (1998) with Gaultier corset cage dress




No comments:

Post a Comment